So, I needed a whiteboard for my new office. I had heard that writing on glass was very nice but never had the opportunity to try it out. I started pricing out whiteboards that I liked online and quickly discovered that whiteboards must be laced with copper or gold. This is a small post about how I built a glass whiteboard for ~$30.
I found a few DIY posts about making glass whiteboards; this one was my inspiration. I wasn’t fond of the $200 price tag and the sharpness of the glass in that design.
I started my project with a quick search of Craigslist for “glass dining tables”. I tried glass tables but kept getting end tables that were much too small for the whiteboard. The only downside to targeting dining tables is, sometimes they are 1/2 inch thick. This makes them entirely too heavy to hang on the wall. I got a lot of puzzled responses when I asked how thick the glass was on Craigslist ads 🙂 . I wanted a frosted piece of glass, so I wouldn’t have to do much to the wall or glass to have enough contrast to see the markers. After a week, I found what I was looking for on Craigslist for $20.
I liked the look of the aluminum strips that were used in the above link, but I didn’t like the price tag at Lowes. Chloe, I think, mentioned why not use wood. I thought about it for a bit and ended up in the moulding section. I ended up picking out this style of moulding for the project. The width of my glass required two 8 ft pieces of moulding at ~$5 putting me at $30 total.
Next I took the moulding home and put it on the table saw. I cut a 1/4 inch groove on the back side of the moulding to hold the glass against the wall.
I took my miter saw and chopped the ends off at a 45 degree angle, so they wouldn’t have a blunt edge. I also wanted a finished look. After cutting them, I broke out some of the ultra white paint that I had been using on the chair rail moulding and sprayed the newly cut moulding. This gave it a smooth clean white look to match my chair rail.
The next step was to use my stud finder to locate the studs on the wall. I marked where they were. I could only fit three studs in the width of my moulding so I used the center stud as the center on the whiteboard moulding. Lining up the two pieces of moulding I clamped them and drilled through them. This ensured that the holes lined up on both pieces of moulding and would hit the studs each time.
I used some extra screws from another project to screw the bottom piece to the wall. I purposely left them loose (I made sure I hit the stud… but not snug to the wall), so that I could slip the glass in behind the moulding. Then it was a matter of getting Chloe to hold the glass while I screwed the top moulding piece to the wall, securing the piece of glass.
Ignore the “#yolo” it was a joke for one of my friends.