So, I’ve been looking around and toying with the idea of getting a “grown-up” bed for some time now. The college days of a $30 frame holding up the box springs were over. I walked around World Market a few weeks ago, and it was then that I really decided that I wanted a more adult looking bed. The price tag for furniture still astounds me most days. So, naturally, I fired up Google and started poking around. I ended up looking at pallet furniture ( which is basically furniture made from re-purposed pallets ). I found this guy’s posts (headboard and bed) and was convinced I could build it without much of a problem. I also wanted something smaller, so Packets could get on and off the bed without me worrying about him breaking his legs each time. The plans I found were perfect for those goals. All in all, it cost me about $130-140 for the headboard and bed. I pretty much used the plans found on his site. Except, I modified the measurements to fit a queen size bed instead of a king.
Mom and Chloe staining. We used Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut.
All we needed to do here was know how wide the head board needed to be. Then, we picked one or two random numbers and cut to those lengths. The last board for each row just needed to make the row equal to the width of the headboard. Taking a sharpie, we noted the row each board belonged in. I then took each row and sanded them smooth with 80/220. I also drilled holes in the ends of the boards to make them appear to be old pallet boards. I beat the drilled holes with a hammer too, to add to the effect.
We then took some of the spare 1×3 wood from the bed slats and pulled all the rows flush with screws.
Each row was individually stained by Chloe. She left the stain on longer on some boards and put water on some. The effect was pretty cool. The headboard appears it was made from different kinds of wood. But it was all the same kind of wood and same stain.
Put on a thin coat of satin polyurethane.
The end result.