DIY Farm Dining Table

DIY Farm Dining Table

IMG_1626

So I’ve been getting really tired of not having a table in the kitchen. Eating all my meals on the couch has its perks, but it is kinda lame too. I started looking for plans, as I always do, for tables. I ended up deciding on these plans. After reading the plans and getting the measuring tape out, I knew very quickly that it wouldn’t fit in my kitchen. The plans called for the table to be 95 1/2 inches long. My small cozy kitchen couldn’t handle that. The only modification that I made to the plans was to adjust the length of the base from 81 inches to 60 inches. I pretty much followed the plans after that.

 

Notching. Here is where I notched out the boards using a circular saw. The basic idea is to mark off where you want to cut and make the initial cuts. Then make small cuts about 1/4 inch apart from the last cut. The end result is a bunch of small chunks of wood that can easily be knocked out with a hammer. There will be some pieces left on the boards after you break away the wood chips. I handled them by making slow passes with the circular saw again. Be very careful and wear eye protection. IMG_1575 IMG_1576

 

IMG_1577 IMG_1578 IMG_1579 IMG_1580

 

 

Gluing legs. After I notched all the boards, I applied wood glue and screwed them together.IMG_1582

 

 

Leg Assembly. Next, I used the same method to notch the horizontal runners and screws them together. I made sure to run the screws into the wood far enough that I could fill in the holes with filler later.

IMG_1583 IMG_1584

 

Frame Assembly. Next was assembling the top pieces. I took my Kreg jig bit, set the collar to about 1/4 inch on the fatter part and used the bit to counter sink the holes for the slats. I didn’t want the 2x2s being uneven later.IMG_1585

 

Sanding. Next, I took the boards used for the table top and sanded…and sanded… and sanded. I did a once over with 80 on all the boards. Then went back with 220 to polish the wood. I then sanded the lower frame the exact same way. In this photo. I just laid the boards on top to see how they fit.

IMG_1605

Staining. Using Rustoleum Dark Walnut, Chloe and I worked in a clockwise fashion to stain the top. She would apply the stain and I would come behind her and wipe up the excess stain with a rag. This allowed me to vary the amount of pressure I was applying to the wood to give it a uneven look.  IMG_1607

Here is what the top looked like before applying polyurethane. IMG_1609

Finishing.  After the first coat of polyurethane I took 0000 grade steel wool and went over the entire table. I recommend wearing some gloves to keep from getting cut and crazy blisters. Next, I applied another coat of poly to the table. I sanded it again with the steel wool. After I applied the last coat of poly to the table, Chloe and I weren’t impressed with the sheen of the table. So, I knocked the sheen off by lightly sanding the table with the steel wool again. The end result was amazingly slick with a dull finish. The first thing multiple say after running their hand over it is “Wow! That is smooth.”

Chairs. Lastly, I didn’t have any chairs. Chloe and I went to the local flea market in search for chairs. We found a good deal of 4 chairs for $15. After walking the entire flea market looking for more chairs, we were unsuccessful. I remembered that one of my old college roommates had a plethora of chairs left over from his wedding. They’d had an entire field full of mismatched chairs. I contacted him and he said his father-in-law still had some. Long story short, I found all the chairs my table could handle. While picking some chairs out his father-in-law said something that made me smile pretty big:

Well I’m happy someone in the wedding is getting these chairs… makes me feel like their weddings is living on.

1237117_713605129459_101691754_n

Here is the final result. I plan on adding a cool centerpiece I found plans for and Chloe is talking about making a table runner. The stain is a little darker than this photo makes it appear. IMG_1626

If I were going to do it over again I probably would have used some type of biscuit joints to pull the table top flush and together.

// lance

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *