Browsed by
Month: January 2017

DIY Key Holder

DIY Key Holder

Our key holder was actually the first thing that Chloe and I built for the house together. We had bought a desk from a man on craigslist to cut down and make into two end tables (I’ll have to post that later). When we cut the desk down we had leftover wood from the top of the desk that was just laying around. We simply cut the wood down to pieces we liked the size of and laid all the hardware out. Then stained it with our favorite stain. Glued and screwed it together. We wanted something to add to it other than just four key hooks. While we were walking around hobby lobby Chloe spotted a old looking milk glass and asked if we could attach it somehow I said sure and we grab from fake flowers while we were there. I grabbed a standard radiator clamp from the shop and we had a key holder.

DIY Dining Room Chandelier

DIY Dining Room Chandelier

I was growing very bored with my current dinning room chandelier. It was a standard contractor grade fixture that the previous owners had installed I assume when the house was built. Chloe started sifting through pins on Pintrest and we found a pretty cool design that someone had pioneered.  This is just some photos of the process.

 

My buddy Alex has a bandsaw mill and cut some water oak thin a while back for some rudimentary shelves in his shop. He graciously gave me a piece and I squared it up with a circular saw. After I had the bottom squared up I went about making the box frame using some 1×3 pine from Lowes and pocket screws. Next I broke out the ruler and carpenter’s square to mark where all the holes would be drilled. I evenly spaced out my holes 3 inches apart to make the grid. It ended up requiring 60 holes to be drilled.IMG_1734

Next was to apply some dark walnut Rustolum Stain.IMG_1735

 

I wish that I had taken more photos of the process in between these two shots. I decided that 6 of the 60 bulbs would actually be lit while the rest would be just for show. I mean who wants to wear sunglasses while dining or upgrading a breaker. Basically I bought some standard 1″ conduit from Lowes and used a bandsaw to cut it into 52 2 inch pieces. I also bought 52 knockouts that fit inside the conduit and drilled each of them. I bought enough black paracord to create the illusion of the fake light sockets having a electrical cord.

Next was actually wiring up the working bulbs. I’m not going to get into how to do that. If you are unsure about electricity then you should read up on it in a more through article or seek help from someone with more experience. IMG_1788

Just doing a test run to see if it lights up.IMG_1821 IMG_1820 IMG_1823 Getting ready to take down the old fixture.IMG_1824

To mount the new fixture I went into the attic and found the wire coming through the ceiling. I measure how far from the hole the rafters were in the direction that I wanted the fixture to run. Then I took two pieces of scrap 2×4 that were cut to the exact length to just slip inside the new light’s width running the direction of the rafters. I then pre drilled the two pieces of scrap and ran screws through them into the rafters above the ceiling sheetrock.

There she is with all her glory. Not many people notice that only 10% of the lights actually work.

IMG_1830

DIY Picture frames – with Shapeoko 2

DIY Picture frames – with Shapeoko 2

Designing and carving picture frames using the Shapeoko and Easel is pretty easy. Needing some Christmas gifts for the family, Chloe and I decided to take a piece of 12″x1″ pine from Lowes. Cut it down to a bit bigger than a 8×10 photo. Stain it using Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut. Then, engrave the names of each of the children in the family using the Shapeoko. It was a fairly simple process and pretty self-explanatory with the Easel software. After the engraving was finished some very light sanding was done to remove the tear out from the router bit. I used some Super Glue to glue on some bull dog clips and we were good to go.

Here are some pictures.